I have been meaning to write this post for quite some time now.
It is an understatement that life has been vastly different ever since I broke my back. Still, there are things that I find I can live without. Like heels. The devilish red pointy one gives me blues at time though. There are, however the following things that I find hard to come to terms with.
1. Splashing cold water on my face the first thing in the morning. Gurgling after lunch.
The reason why I am unable to do both is my inability to bend forward. If I try to do any of the above (and I have tried), I end up wetting the front of my dress.
2. Picking up stuff from the floor/below knee level. I hate having to call somebody to pick up my stuff for me. So, most of the time, I use my feet as a mini-crane and get my hands on the desired object.
3. Having to depend on someone to drive me around to my destination. My greatest objection against American city life was the sketchy public transport. But with my weak back and the numerous potholes dotting the Kolkata roads, hubby has to take me around everywhere - office, physio chamber etc. I am basically under house arrest when the car goes for servicing. It is particularly hard for me because just about a year back, I used to travel in public buses - standing inside the bus, wearing a sari and carrying a laptop. Now, I can do none of the three.
4. Thinking twice before taking stairs.
5. Not being able to use a bucket and a mug for taking bath. In bathrooms where the shower cannot mix hot and cold water, hubby has to get tepid water for me in a bucket on a plastic table and I dip the mug in the bucket and take my bath. My physio has strictly instructed me not to take a bath in cold water.
I hope, in time, I will be better equipped to deal with the restrictions that my back injury brought with it.
Friday, August 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment